Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

I imagine it's delightful to sit at home in the morning, drinking a cup of homemade coffee while snuggling into a cozy breakfast nook. I'd read the newspaper and listen to the birds sing. I'd watch the sunrise every morning.


After I finished my coffee, I'd cook myself breakfast. Some mornings it would be something decadent. Baked french toast with raspberries. Lemon ricotta pancakes with sauteed apples. A fresh-baked quiche.

Other mornings, it would be more simple. A bowl of granola, topped off with yogurt and fresh fruit. Eggs scrambled up into a quick breakfast burrito.


I'd even eat it on a real plate with real silverware.

Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Currently, I leave for work by 7:10 a.m. I've never fancied myself to be a morning person. I give myself very little time to get ready. That means breakfast now is nothing like my fantasy. It's quick. I've got to be able to grab it and go, maybe toast it a bit or warm it up if I'm feeling fancy.


That's where treats like these come in. These granola bars are a perfect addition to a quick breakfast. They keep well for at least a week, although mine seemed to disappear a bit quicker than that. They're on the crunchy side, which I quite prefer, and each bite contains a bit of chocolate.




Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
recipe adapted from How Sweet It Is

3 cups rolled oats
1 cup crispy brown rice cereal
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/2 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

This recipe yielded about 16 granola bars.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.

In a large bowl, combine oats and crispy brown rice cereal.

In a small saucepan, heat honey, vanilla and peanut butter until just melted. Add to the oats and brown rice cereal mixture, and mix until moistened. Add the chocolate chips and stir until combined.

Press the granola mixture into the greased pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly golden brown and a bit crispy.

Allow the bars to cool, and then flip out of the pan. Slice into your desired shape (I made bars) and enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. oooh great grab-and-go breakfast! I have similar breakfast fantasys and I always look forward to weekend breakfasts that linger over mugs of tea and newspapers until it is almost lunch time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really savoring those weekend breakfasts is a good idea to compensate! I just realized I rarely have that kind of weekend breakfast (unless it's brunch out!).

      Delete
  2. these look wonderful, and yes, good food should not be a matter of schedule but can be made to fit one's schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, 7:10...? That's insane. These granola bars look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These will be perfect to make and send with my husband on nights he has to work late! Maybe I can even sneak a few raisins in . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raisins? That's a fun addition to think about. I was wondering about coconut and how that would go with the peanut butter.

      Delete