Monday, September 5, 2011

Spanish Tortilla with Artichokes and Roasted Red Peppers

As the school year gears back up, I find myself searching for easy to make recipes that I can eat for days without getting sick of them. I'm particularly fond of recipes that work for breakfast, lunch or dinner, so I can eat them when needed.


The Spanish tortilla certainly fits the bill. This is a relatively healthy version of the tortilla, with only 7 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. It's got a good deal of protein contributed by the 8 eggs. Roasted red peppers and sliced artichoke hearts provide interesting texture and taste contrasts while you're eating.


This tortilla is delicious with tortilla chips (if you get the little scoops, you can even eat the tortilla if you forget your silverware at lunchtime), a light salad for dinner, or with a cup of coffee for breakfast.


You get at least 7 good sized servings out of this tortilla, so if you make it, you get to eat it for awhile.



Spanish Tortilla with Artichokes and Roasted Red Peppers
inspired by a Cook's Illustrated Magazine recipe, September and October 2007

Ingredients
7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 1/8th inch thick slices
1 small onion, sliced thin
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 tablespoon black pepper
1 small jar roasted red peppers, rinsed, patted dry, and thinly sliced
1 large can (or two small jars) artichoke hearts, rinsed, patted dry and thinly sliced
8 large eggs

In a medium bowl, combine the potatoes and onions. Toss with six tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Add to a skillet over medium-low heat, Cook, covered, stirring every few minutes, until potatoes are done. This took about 18 to 20 minutes for me. You want the potatoes to be cooked through but still firm.

In the same medium bowl, add 8 large eggs and salt. Scramble. When the potatoes are done cooking, add them to the eggs and stir to combine. Add peppers and artichokes, stirring.

Heat the same skillet to medium-high and add the remaining tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Add the egg/potato mixture to the pan, and cook for about 2 minutes, shaking the pan every 30 seconds.

Slide a rubber scraper along the sides of the pan and reach it under the bottom of the tortilla, loosening as much of the tortilla as possible. Slide the tortilla out onto a plate, and then flip it over back into the pan. If a few parts come loose, just stick them back on!

Cook for 2 to 3 more minutes. Remove from the pan and let it cool on a plate.

(I turned the heat down when I cooked it and let mine cook slowly because it was very, very thick. if you want to ensure the inside of a thick tortilla is cooked, this is a good technique.)

7 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I love recipes that are just as good the first day as they are leftover, so you don't mind eating them for several days in a row.

    Katie, I tagged you to play the seven links game over at my blog. I hope you'll be able to play along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember this when you are getting engaged to be married: ASK him if he will eat leftovers or the same meal in the same week...VERY IMPORTANT...lol!! Mark has never wanted to eat leftovers or the same meal (i.e. making one meal count for two during a week to save time), and I have never been able to make things that I can use over the span of a week. Of course, I would have married him anyway had I known. ;-) This looks delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom used to make Italian frittatas a lot when I was a kid and her version was super similar to a spanish tortilla. With all the potatoes, this is serious comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, This looks absolutely delicious...we made a Tortilla with French Fridays. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kayte! You had me bent over laughing at work when I read your comment. I will DEFINITELY do that when I meet the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all for things that I can eat for dinner, breakfast the next day, and lunch, especially now that school has started again and I barely have enough time to make myself a sandwich for lunch before dashing out the door. Your tortilla looks so filling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delicious and unique recipe! It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete