Sunday, September 25, 2011

Baked Sunday Mornings: Honey Corn Muffins

Sometimes I'm tempted to alter a recipe the first time I make it. When I made these Honey Corn Muffins from Baked Explorations, I first considered adding fresh kernels of corn. I thought about adding some spice to the muffins, a bit of cayenne or tabasco. I thought about baking the muffins into a loaf of bread.


But after sinking my teeth into the first warm muffin, topped with melting butter, I was glad I hadn't altered anything. Matt and Renato were right. These muffins had just the right amount of sweetness, contributed by a bit of honey. They didn't need anything else.

These were far better than the Jiffy corn muffin mixes I used to buy as a kid, and they weren't much more difficult. I whipped up a quick batch of buttermilk using 1 cup of milk and 1 tablespoon of white vinegar. I had the rest of the ingredients on hand, and they came together quickly.


I enjoyed some fresh, and I also froze a few to have on hand for dinners. I'm glad I have a few left because I came across a delicious suggestion to top the reheated muffins with honey butter--yum!


Be sure to check out the Baked Sunday Mornings Facebook page to see posts by all the bloggers who made muffins this week. If you want to join us, pick up a copy of Baked Explorations and check out the recipe schedule here. The next recipe is an oatmeal chocolate chip breakfast CAKE.



Honey Corn Muffins
from Baked Explorations

Ingredients
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees  Lightly butter or spray each cup of a standard 12 cup muffin pan – and wipe out any excess with a paper towel.  You can also line with paper.

In a medium bowl, lightly whisk the eggs, add the buttermilk, honey and butter, and whisk again.  Set aside. 

In a larger bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, brown sugar, sugar and salt. 

Make a little well in the dry ingredients and then pour the wet into the well, and fold together until just combined.  Try not to over-mix.

Fill each muffin about 3/4’s full.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out just clean.

Place on a rack and let cool for 10 minutes.  Then pop muffins out while still warm and serve with butter (and honey or fruit).

5 comments:

  1. Great idea to freeze some! These were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh I love corn muffins so much! These look so tasty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - easy & great! The only thing is that I don;t usually have Buttermilk on-hand. I will definitely make these again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed making these and thought it was just as easy as Jiffy to make. Good idea to freeze some so that you can pop them in the oven when you want a quick snack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. they look great! happy you enjoyed them! i'm looking forward to the next recipe :)

    ReplyDelete