Friday, July 20, 2012

Almond-Plum Everyday Cake

I had cake for breakfast.


Two days in a row.

It's a healthy cake of sorts. Only one-half cup brown sugar in the whole cake. Four large plums. Almond flour. I left off the ice cream--that was for dessert the night before.

(Ignore the cup and then some of butter.)


I am a girl who loves baked goods for breakfast. When I was out with my aunt and cousin today, we bonded over how important it was to have a little bit of something baked with our coffee in the morning. I think it runs in my family.

I generally have more everyday baked goods. Muffins are a given, as is toast with almond butter. I'll make a big batch of waffles or pancakes and freeze them, reheating a few in the morning for breakfast. Pre-made, they become easy go-to breakfasts.

This almond-plum cake could be considered an everyday cake. It comes together in minutes, you mix it with your hands, and then throw it in the oven. It's delicious plain or topped with vanilla ice cream. You'll probably have almost all the ingredients for this on hand, and you can swap other fruits in based on what's in season. 


We could also call it a thank you for being amazing friends cake.

Whatever name you give it, have a slice for breakfast. I think it might be good luck. Three fabulous things happened after I had a slice that I'll be sharing with you soon!




Almond-Plum Everyday Cake
recipe adapted from Vanilla Garlic

I used a combination of red and black plums, and I layered the plums, alternating slices of red and black plum. This recipe could serve 8 for dessert.

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, well packed
1 cup salted butter plus two tablespoons, cold and cut into small chunks
Pinch of salt
1 1/4 pounds plums (red, black, or any other!)

Butter a 9-inch springform pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

In a medium bowl, combine flours, sugar and a pinch of salt. Whisk well. Add the salted butter, mixing in with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Pat two-thirds of the mixture into the bottom of the springform pan, patting down gently. Lick your fingers, smile and then wash your hands.

Slice plums. Arrange the plum slices evenly over the top of the crust. Sprinkle the remaining one-third of the crust mixture over the top of the plums. It's alright if the plums are not fully covered.

Place into a preheated oven, and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the plums are visibly softened.

Transfer the cake to a wire cooling rack. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes. If desired, cool completely and eat at room temperature. The cake will keep well for two days, but it might not last that long.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds good enough to entice me to turn on the oven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided it was worth it. It was also pouring rain and in the 60s here that day, so that helped with the decision to cook!

      Delete
  2. Well if it's in your genetic-makeup, there's no way you can fight it so why even try! This cake looks amazing. i'd be eating it for every meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pretty much did. I think that's how I made sure it was gone in two days!

      Delete
  3. I need some good luck cake! I am going to go home and make it right away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope it brings you the luck you need.

      Delete