Sunday, June 17, 2012

Smoked Salmon Dip


This smoked salmon dip is a treat.

Yes. This specific one you're looking at.

It's because my dad, an avid fisherman, caught this salmon himself.


Then he cleaned it, rubbed it with just a touch of maple syrup, and smoked it for me in his smoker. That was all done in Michigan. That's not where I live.


So, my dad sealed the smoked fish up for me (eight packages worth), bought a freezer bag and surrounded the fish with ice packs so it could survive the long flight and subway ride home.

I got the salmon home, unpacked it proudly and tucked it into my freezer. Whenever I want a pack, I pull it out in the morning to defrost and enjoy it when I get it home from work.


Best of all, that process repeats itself anytime I go home.

I use the salmon in all kinds of ways, but this is definitely one of my favorites. It couldn't be simpler to prepare.


A package of cream cheese, mixed with chopped capers and shallots and loaded with hot-smoked salmon. Spread on slices of baguette, it's a perfect start to a dinner party.

Happy Father's Day to you, Dad! Can't wait to go fishing with you soon!


Smoked Salmon Dip

Ingredients
8 ounce package plain cream cheese, at room temperature
1 large shallot, minced
1 tablespoon capers, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon milk
2 ounces hot smoked salmon, chopped, about 1/3 cup (feel free to add more!)

In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, shallots, capers, milk and smoked salmon. Stir with a fork until the mixture is well combined and ingredients are distributed throughout the dip.

My favorite ways to serve it are favorite crackers, on top of bruschetta, and spread across a bagel for breakfast. I am sure there are MANY other ways to enjoy it. I can't wait to hear what ways you discover!

5 comments:

  1. SO COOL that this is all homemade! I loved smoked salmon dip to begin with but I bet that fact made it even more delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne! I think it does. I always feel a little more special when I pull a pack of smoked salmon out of the freezer since my dad caught and smoked it.

      Delete
  2. Oh just lovely! My husband went salmon fishing last summer and we ate so well. Thank you for sharing this. I'm eager to make some of this dip to go with a freshly baked loaf of bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! My parents were just talking about how much they loved fresh-caught fish. And this dip with a good, crusty bread will really hit the spot.

      Delete
  3. Those look heavenly! Great flavors and wonderful texture.

    ReplyDelete